Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Work It, Girls!

"Women of all shapes, sizes, and ages should feel free to wear nothing and everything. Be it a tiny bikini or a loose hijab, a woman should feel free to wear anything her heart desires."

It was a relieving sight. To see older women with voluptuous body wearing every kind of swimsuits proudly on the beaches of Miami, even with cellulite showing on their thighs and stomachs, was a sight that gave me true inspiration. On the same beaches I also saw younger women in every kind of body shape, showing off their "assets", big or small, flat or flabby with no care in the world. Who am I to judge? Even if it's the easiest thing to do in the world; to judge.

I think it is the same thing with hijab or jilbab, a head covering worn by most of Muslim women as a way to show their religious belief. I don't wear one, but I have seen Muslim women in Houston wearing hijabs and get a funny stare in return. I once wore a really short pants to a mall in Indonesia and got a stare from a creepy fat man in return. The two are, to me, the same thing; shallow judgment based on what kind of shape of fabrics we chose to wear.

So in that pretty beach in Miami, I made a promise to myself. I will value other people and not pass judgment based on what they are wearing (or not wearing). Other people's shapes, sizes, colors, religions and beliefs will be as valuable to me as it is to them. And I, from now on will wear my swimsuit proudly, even with that excess fat on my stomach or the various spots of vitiligo on my back.

I think if people have to judge, they need to do it in their own tiny brain and not spread the hate around.


Love,

Andini

No comments:

Post a Comment